Noise abatement for a rack

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Dec 4 12:01:28 PST 2002

our chatsworth megaframe cabinets are fairly quiet relative to open racks
but require directed ac, blown in under the floor and exhausted out the
ceiling...

This also has the effect of isolating the enviroment in the cabinets from
the rest of the room somewhat, which is desireable when you have a pair of
half rack sized routers drawing 1.5kw each in one cabinet.

I would except that most reasonable acoustic materials are likely to cause
your airflow requirements to go up given that you'll be blocking most of
surface area that is currently radiating heat with something that's also
thermal insulation and that you aren't currently blowing air into
something that's an open rack. your temperature monitoring requierments
will also go up since likelyhood of hardware failure goes way up if the
airflow stops.

joelja