Help Please

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Aug 28 12:32:48 PDT 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, parvatam jagannadh rao wrote:

> I am new to Clustring technology  I want to know how
> to install configure Beowulf Clustring for my redhat
> 7.0 with kernel 2.2
>

> Help me Quickly

OK.  Two choices:

  a) Start by updating to Red Hat 7.3 with kernel 2.4.
  b) Install it on all cluster nodes and servers/masters.  Be sure to
include pvm, mpich and lam (PVM and two versions of MPI) as well as any
associated packages like pvm-gui you might like.
  c) Configure them all on the same network (switch).
  d) Set up your NFS mounts and shared account space as you would for
any cluster.  There are several ways to proceed, e.g. NIS, rsync'ing the
passwd/group files, all of which will work and any of which might be
appropriate for your environment.
  e) Build some of the examples in the parallel library distributions
above and run them.  Get pvm-pov, build and run it.
  f) Congratulations!  You are now running a cluster!  Write your own
PVM or MPI applications (possibly using some books on parallel
programming to get started) and have fun.

OR

  a) Start by getting Scyld (http://www.scyld.com).  The professional
edition is a bit costly for getting started, but the basic software CD
is "nearly free" ($3 plus S/H) from Linux Central
http://www.linuxcentral.com/
  b) Install it.
  c) Run it.
  d) Pay Scyld if you like it and want more support.  I believe that
they have University prices if you are an educational institution, and
they have beowulf training courses you can also take if you want
certification or are interested in this professionally.

Fast enough?

;-)

   rgb