Scyld performance problems

Karen Keadle-Calvert calvert at scyld.com
Mon Aug 5 11:10:34 PDT 2002

Tom,

If you are running the linpack that came with your Scyld distribution,
it must be optimized for the cluster you are running on or the results
are not very meaningful.  /usr/bin/linpack is just a script that runs
xhpl for you automatically by creating the input file for you.
Please refer to the file /usr/share/doc/hpl-1.0/TUNING to get ideas on
optimizing the input file.  The easiest/quickest change to make is to
increase the problem size.  By default, the problem size is 3000.
Beginning with release 27cz-9, you can change the size on the command
line by typing: linpack -n size.  Otherwise, you'll have to modify the
/usr/bin/linpack script to change the problem size.  Just note that if
you make the problem size too large the nodes could run out of memory
and the test will fail (you'll see a 'connection refused' message when
this happens).

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Karen Calvert