Hangs

Louis J. Romero louisr at aspsys.com
Thu Aug 1 07:49:04 PDT 2002

hi,

I'd have two (2) suggestions that might help.

The first would be to put a head on the machine so that you are not blind
when the system hangs.  If that is not an option, load up a cron job that
runs maybe every 5 minutes (you'll have to throttle this to give you a period
that can give you info @ or around the time of the hang  I would suggest that
you maybe dump a long listing of the process table e.g. ps -wef --forest.,
maybe socket info via netstat -a or socklist, nfs data using netstat, disk
stats using iostat, swap using free, mounted file systems can be viewed using
df (note: put this command in last because if nfs is the culprit, the df
command will hang).  If you happen to know the process that is hanging, run
it with strace with the output going to a file.  May slow things down a bit
but, you're in triage @ this point.

As an aside, why are the nfs mount points hard?  nfs problems with a hard
mount option can cause a machine to hang.  Depending upon the load that the
clients are putting on the server, increasing the number of nfs daemons may
relieve some botleneck that may be introduced.  Conversely, too many can
cause performance degradation.

Good luck...

Louis