Processor contention(?) and network bandwidth on AMD

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Tue Apr 30 12:50:58 PDT 2002

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 at 5:07pm, Robert G. Brown wrote

> Try this:
>
>   Do your netpipe transmitter on an unloaded host, a host at load 1 and
> at load 2.
>   Do your netpipe receiver on an unloaded host, a host at load 1 and one
> at load 2.
>
> Fill in the matrix -- load 0 to load 0, load 0 to load 1, etc.
>
> I found (in similar tests done years ago) that a TRANSMITTER could be
> loaded to 2 (per cpu) with only a small degradation of throughput, but
> 50%.

Done -- the results are at <http://www.duke.edu/~jlb17/bwtest.pdf>.  Keep
in mind these were pretty quick and dirty tests using the systems I have
on hand.

Between Athlon systems, it seems the transmitter vs. receiver loading
doesn't make much of a difference.  A newer Intel based system (dual PIIIs
on a Serverworks HE-SL chipset) shows the same bandwidth hit with overload
as the Athlon systems.  But older systems (well, a couple of years
anyway) don't show this hit, which is what set me off on all this.  Maybe
it's an issue of chipset support?

Anyways, thanks for listening to me babble on about all this.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering