HIGH MEM suport for up to 64GB

Leandro Tavares Carneiro leandro at ep.petrobras.com.br
Wed Apr 17 10:17:57 PDT 2002

Hi everyone,

	I am writing to ask to you all if anyone have tesed or used an machine
with more than 4GB of RAM or paging in virtual memory on intel machines.
	He have an linux beowulf cluster and one of ours developers have asked
us for how much memory an process can allocate to use. In the tests we
have made, we cannot allocate much more than 3GB, using an dual PIII
with 1GB of ram and 12Gb of swap area for testing.
	We can use 2 process alocating more or less 3Gb, but one process alone
canot pass this test.
	We have using redhat linux 7.2, kernel 2.4.9-21, recompiled with High
Mem suport.
	I have tested the same test aplication on an Itanium machine, with 1GB
of ram and 16Gb of swap area, and they passed. The aplication can
alocate more than 5GB of memory, using swap. In this machine, we are
using turbolinux 7, with kernel version 2.4.4-010508-18smp.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Best regards,
--
Leandro Tavares Carneiro