DMA difficulties

Steven Berukoff steveb at aei-potsdam.mpg.de
Sun Apr 14 10:24:24 PDT 2002

Hi,

Sorry, I should have given a bit more info.

If the IDE cable is attached, but the power cable is not, the machine will
not complete POST; it will hang.  If the power cable is attached, but the
IDE cable is not, the machine completes POST, and goes forward with the
install.  However, performance is slow.  Only when both cables are
attached to the CDROM does the installation run quickly.

To address Alvin's comments, all settings in the BIOS relevant to the
CDROM are disabled: the CDROM is not listed as a boot device, it's not a
Master or Slave on either IDE channel, and the Secondary IDE channel is
disabled.  Further, no IDE cables are attached where they shouldn't be,
i.e., only the HDD cable is plugged in.  Finally, there is no option in
the BIOS for enabling/disabling autodetection of IDE devices.

To address Mark's comments, the kernel that I'm using is the 2.4.7-10
kernel that comes with RH7.2.  In particular, I'm using the kernel found
in images/pxeboot, which includes support for the network loopback device,
initial ramdisk, etc.  Also, the boot messages say that the HDD is
DMA enabled, although, as I've said, I'm a bit wary of that pronouncement.

I thought about compiling my own kernel for this, instead of using the RH
distro version.  However, going through some of the permutations of kernel
configurations didn't produce a useful product.  Anyone have insights as
to the kernel config that will work for this, or the options in the stock
RH kernel, or how to extract such options?

TIA again for your insights.

Steve