decent performance from G4 Macs?

David van der Spoel spoel at
Sun Apr 14 00:18:02 PDT 2002

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Jarrod Smith wrote:

>> is it just that the performance Apple brags about is strictly
>> in-cache, and/or when doing something ah specialized like
>> single-precision SIMD (altivec/velocity engine)?
>I've been making a foray into OS X on G4 hardware recently.  After having
>compiled and benchmarked a couple of our compute-intensive codes, I have
>wondered the same thing...
>So far double-precision floating point has not impressed me in the least
>on the G4.

We have done some single precision (gcc with altivec code) tests using
our molecular dynamics code GROMACS. The results are on

the numbers are simulation time/real time, i.e. higher is better. The G4
is slightly slower than an Athlon (w 3DNow)/P3 (w SSE) at the same clock.
Havent't tested double precision yet.

Groeten, David.
Dr. David van der Spoel, 	Biomedical center, Dept. of Biochemistry
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755
spoel at	spoel at