How do you keep clusters running....

Roger L. Smith roger at ERC.MsState.Edu
Wed Apr 3 13:23:44 PST 2002

I don't know how to say this without sounding condescending, but we
resolved this problem by purchasing high quality machines.  We currently
use IBM x330s (although I also had good luck with our SGI 1100's before
SGI discontinued them).  We have enough nodes on hand, that IBM has
stocked a couple of spare motherboards, power supplies, etc., but we don't
need them that often.  I've never had a fan failure.

In general, hardware problems are a very minor part of the care and
feeding of our cluster.