Paper showing Linpack scalability of mainstream clusters

RICHARD,BRUNO (HP-France,ex1) bruno_richard at
Thu Sep 27 09:28:34 PDT 2001

Hi Roger,

What we mean by "mainstream" is that these could be your grandma's machine,
unmodified except for the Software.
Actually I-Cluster *is* the first cluster of this type to enter the TOP500.
Some PC-based clusters are already registered there of course, but they
cannot be called "mainstream": Most require specific (non-mainstream at
all!) connectivity such as Myrinet, SCI, Quadrix... Some are based on PCs
equipped with several LAN boards (not mainstream either).
If you restrict to off-the-shelf monoprocessor (excluding non-mainstream
Alpha, MIPS and such) interconnected through standard Ether100, no cluster
ever entered the TOP500 list. And I-Cluster is still the only one to be
there. Let me know if you think otherwise.

Regards, -bruno
Bruno RICHARD - Research Program Manager
HP Laboratories
38053 Grenoble Cedex 9 - FRANCE
Phone: +33 (4) 76 14 15 38
bruno_richard at