Linux cluster in commercial office?

Brian D. Ropers-Huilman bropers at
Thu Sep 27 11:44:23 PDT 2001

Also, you should check out the Condor project at UW-Madison:

This is _exactly_ what you're looking for.

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 beowulf-admin at wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 05:39:27PM -0400, Korsedal, Brian wrote:
> [stuff deleted]
> > look into clustering our PC's so that we can have an extra high performance
> > server.  Each PC would still have to function as a terminal (office apps and
> > the ability to run processes on the unix machines) but use the free CPU time
> > to run simulations.  Is there any implementation of clustering software for
> > this?  If there isn't, it would be an interesting thing to look into, there
> > are many offices with computers that are barely used.  My CPU sits idle 95%
> > of the time and it would be great to caputer the extra CPU cycles.  Does
> > anybody have any thoughts about this or know how to make it happen?
> You should look into sun gridengine (
> which has a nice mechanism for detecting idle time and running jobs when
> interactive idle time reaches a certain point. You can even schedule your
> workstations to become available for compute jobs after a certain time
> using their calendar function. They even have an appnote on how to do
> what you want to do (
> We have recently (last few months) moved from OpenPBS to SGE and I must say
> SGE is quite nice. It is much more stable for us with our large job arrays.
> Chris

Brian D. Ropers-Huilman                   (225) 578-0461 (V)
Systems Administrator                     (225) 578-6400 (F)
Office of Computing Services              brian at
High Performance Computing
Fred Frey Building, Rm. 201, E-1Q                             \o/
Louisiana State University                      --  __o   /    |
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-1900                     --- `\<,  /    `\\,
                                                   O/ O /     O/ O