GigE fiber NIC

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Sep 26 23:47:58 PDT 2001

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Martin Siegert wrote:

> - 3Com 3c985B-SX
> - Netgear GA620
> - Syskonnect SK-9843
> - National Semiconductor DP83820
>
> Intel makes GigE cards as well, but the driver is not distributed with
> the kernel. Thus I would rely on Intel to have a driver available when
> I want to upgrade the kernel.

I'd probably go with the sysconnect for performance/support followed by
the ga620 which is the cheapest of the acenic (the differences
between them aren't substantive)based cards.

the nat semi chipset has the distinction of being really cheap (the
10/100/1000 copper cards from dlink are $89. but the chipset on has an 8k
transmit and 32k recieve buffer which makes it not the most desireable for
a high-end gig card...

> My google searches did not come up with any information about the availability
> of Packet Engines NICs (now Alcatel) and Alteon AceNIC (now Nortel).

you won't find either of these cards out there, alcatel killed the nic
business, and nortel merged alteons desktop products with their
baynetworks netgear division...