channel bonding rtl8139 works??

Eric Kuhnke eric at fnordsystems.com
Wed Sep 5 04:34:38 PDT 2001

In my experience, the Realtek 8139 is the worst modern network controller
on the planet.  It's the cheapest available, and commonly found on $65
generic (ie: PC Chips) celeron motherboards.  Sometimes it completely
refuses to autodetect speed and duplex of a connection.  You really do get
what you pay for...

I second Robert's comment on the 3C905C-TX NIC, which is an excellent
card.  They can be had for under $30 if you look around.  The Intel 82559
is also good, as evidenced by its use in high end Supermicro Serverworks
III-HE chipset motherboards.

Eric Kuhnke
Lead Engineer / Operations Manager
Fnord Datacenter Systems Inc.
eric at fnordsystems.com
www.fnordsystems.com
voice: +1-360-527-3301 fax: +1-360-647-0752