Cluster computing software survey

Cristian Tibirna ctibirna at giref.ulaval.ca
Wed Oct 31 08:41:07 PST 2001

On October 31, 2001 11:20, you wrote:
> I noticed that the Intel site offers two versions of each --
> One for Red Hat 6.2 and one for Red Hat 7.1.
>
> How crucial is the choice of Linux version?  Has anyone
> tried these compilers with other versions / vendors of Linux
> or with FreeBSD?

Lot crucial. The provided binaries don't work each on the other version of
RedHat, much less on other versions of Linux. For SuSE and Caldera, Intel
offers patches that go over the above mentioned binaries. You have to be
subscribed (for free) to premier.intel.com though.

I had some problems with the Intel C++ compiler though. Certain binaries
obtained with them when using any sort of optimization (-On where n is one of
1,2,3), will crash on startup, at time of library loading.

Speaking of AMD and Intel compilers, I didn't try to use ICC (nor IFC) on an
AMD processor, but I somehow doubt it will work (and definitely not when
using P3/P4 specific compiler options).

Thanks for listening
--
Cristian Tibirna				(1-418-) 656-2131 / 4340
  Université Laval - Québec, CAN ... http://www.giref.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
  Professionnel de recherche GIREF ... ctibirna at giref.ulaval.ca
  Étudiant PhD Génie Chimique ... tibirna at gch.ulaval.ca