SGE and Scyld

hanzl at noel.feld.cvut.cz hanzl at noel.feld.cvut.cz
Tue Oct 23 06:35:35 PDT 2001

> I've heard that people simply run SGE on a node,
> letting Scyld to do the load balancing.

Scyld does load balancing?

I can imagine MOSIX doing load balancing by migration of SGE-spawned
processes but not Scyld.

To my knowledge, MOSIX does transparent migration (also keeping open
files and network connections, they are operated through the ghost
process which remains at the original node), so it could move any
SGE batch job process.

On the contrary, bproc/Scyld also does process migration but this
migration is not transparent - it requires collaboration of the
program being migrated, or at least collaboration of the environment
of this program. Naive processes can be migrated at startup only and
at this time you have to decide the destination node. Scyld migration
was designed to get single system image (throuht this 'remote startup'
and signal redirection), not to be able to move running processes with
open files and network connections. (Or did I miss some new
improvements?)

Regards

Vaclav