CCL:RIMM vs SDRAM

Joshua Halpern jhalpern at fac.howard.edu
Wed Oct 24 09:05:37 PDT 2001

The problem might be in the northbridge.  The fact that
the difference appears memory access driven makes this
more likely.  If you look at the results from the
VIA KT266A revision, you can see the cited 20%
difference in performance disappear

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q3/010902/kt266a-03.html

The review starts at
http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q3/010902/

Without knowing which motherboard Scott was using, it
is hard to be definite, but the superiority of the
KT266A over the AMD 760 and the SIS 735 chip sets
(as well as blowing away the KT266) makes it almost
certain that the differential between the P4s boards
and the Althons has been recovered.

My solution would be to wait for new motherboards with the
KT266A chipset.

Of course, if your application is really memory limited, you
could always wait even longer for the nForce 220 and a
processor that could efficiently use its memory bandwidth:)

http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1535&p=6

Regards
Josh Halpern