PBS x SGE comparison?

hanzl at noel.feld.cvut.cz hanzl at noel.feld.cvut.cz
Wed Oct 24 09:02:16 PDT 2001

Thanks to all who helped me to evaluate SGE and PBS. For me it is
decided, I joined the SGE camp. The development group seemes to be
well alive and optimistic and thought the MAUI integration is not
ready yet, I am sure it will come and I am willing to help.

Special thanks to Ron Chen for acting as a polite and inteligent
gateway between Beowulf and SGE maillists.

For sure before this summer PBS was my possible choice number 1, but
now I suggest everybody looking for batch spooling solution to
evaluate SGE.

(It seemes this summer many big companies decided to get an important
role in cluster software through opensource infrastructure programs,
buying related small companies, supporting linux etc. But Sun seems to
be doing much more than just market hype and hasty steps to get in.)

-- Ron Chen wrote:
> SGE 5.3 is the "Enterprise Edition", also there are a
> lot of changes checked in since SGE became
> opensourced, so may be the best way is to compile from
> the source if you want the lastest and greatest.

Would be nice to read this in the manual (I am sure next version will
make it clear).

-- Chris Black wrote:
> I also highly recommend checking out http://supportforum.sun.com

Yes, thanks, there is a SGE section which I did not find starting at
SGE project place.

Regards

Vaclav

P.S. I am moving my involvement to SGE lists untill I have something
really Beowulf related...