NIS?

David Bussenschutt d.bussenschutt at mailbox.gu.edu.au
Sun Oct 7 21:45:13 PDT 2001

Hi all again.... you all seem to be interested in making sure that :
1) if a node is down, then it gets updated when it comes up.
2) if all nodes come up at once, then you don't want the network/master
flooded with more requests.

Possible solutions and issues:
1) make clients "pull" files on boot (suggested on list)
        * must add random delays to the pull so server is not overloaded.
        * must have localised scripts on client machines that perform
"pull".
(what do you do when you want to update these scripts because the pull
isn't working properly? - you can't have them "pull" the new version!)
2) have server push when client is up again.
        * server is never loaded because it ititiates actions (and my perl
script is currently not multi-stranded)
        * all management changes are in one place.

Also I had someone as the following questions:
how do I force an update on all nodes?
        * touch the file on the server that I want to update to nodes, and
let my perl daemon push it out.
how do I force an update on one node?
        * I don't, I just do all nodes.   I'm sure the script could be
improved if this was required.

I have updated my perl program (below) so it handles the cases were a a
node/client goes down ...it polls for the client periodically (waiting for
it to come back up)  - the frequency of which is settable at start time
(or defaults to a reasonable value)

at start time, I now just run:
syncfiles node1
syncfiles node2
syncfiles node3
etc..

David.

here is the 'syncfiles' program:
-------perl-code-cut-line-start-----------------

#!/usr/bin/perl -wT
#
# syncfiles
#
# usage: in a rc.sysinit or inittab on the master host, run:
#      syncfiles clienthost [checkdelay] [retrydelay]
# Designed to automatically check every 'checkdelay' seconds whether
certain files have
# been modified and if modifications have been made, then push them to the

# requested client host over a ssh connection. This script runs as a
daemon by default.
# Requires:
#       1) to run as root for /etc/files, so you can access the shadow
file
#       2) rsync and ssh must be available, and at the paths defined in
this script
#       3) root ssh access without a password to the client (ie
.ssh/authorised_keys2 on remote hosts)
#
# written by David Bussenschutt Oct 5 2001 - free for everyone  - no
responsibily accepted.
# It could be made bigger and better, but I like the KISS principle.
# October 8 2001 improvement:
# The script will now retry the send if the client is not available...
# If client host is uncontactable (or other ssh connection problems), then
the delay is changed
# to the (hopefully longer) 'retrydelay' until the host is available again
in order that the network
# isn't flooded with retrying/failing requests the whole time..

use strict; # for syntax checking
use POSIX; # for 'setsid'

#-------------USER DEFINABLE SETTINGS
BEGIN--------------------------------
# files to update, and the initial ctime to use
my %files = ('/etc/passwd' => '0', '/etc/shadow' => '0', '/etc/group' =>
'0',);

# where are the rsync and ssh commands?
# rsync should also be in the same place on the remote hosts as on the
primary host
# the path to these is hardcoded because this script runs as root
my $rsync = '/usr/bin/rsync';
my $ssh = '/usr/bin/ssh';

# client name should be provided on command line, if it's not, the script
won't run.
my $client = $ARGV[0];

# how often do we check for changes to the ctime of the files?
# should be provided as second command line option, or default to 10
seconds.
my $checkdelay = $ARGV[1]||10;
# if we couldn't contact the host or had errors, how long till we retry?
from cmd line or default to 60.
my $retrydelay = $ARGV[2]||60;

# dissassociate from terminal (1=yes)?
my $DAEMON=1;

my $DEBUG=1; #(1=more output)
print "Running in DEBUG mode - modify script to turn off DEBUG and silence
this output.\n" if $DEBUG;
#-------------USER DEFINABLE SETTINGS
END----------------------------------

#------------ERROR CHECKING BEGIN---------------
die "rsync not found\n" unless defined $rsync;
die "remote host not defined on command line\n" unless defined $client;
chomp $rsync;
# untaint the client name
if ($client =~ /^([-\w.]+)$/) {      # alphanumerics,hyphens and dots
only.
   $client = $1;                     # now untainted
} else { print "Really Bad data in client hostname. Only alphanumerics,
hyphens and dots allowed.\n"; die; }
# untaint the path
$ENV{'PATH'} = '';
#------------ERROR CHECKING END---------------

#--------DAEMON CODE BEGIN-------------------------
# are we going to run as a daemon?
my $pid;
if ($DAEMON == 1){
  # only INT, TERM and HUP are REALLY needed.
  $SIG{TERM}=$SIG{INT}=$SIG{HUP}=\&signal_handler;
  #ignore $SIG{PIPE} as it's dangerous
  $SIG{PIPE}='IGNORE';
  # turn stdio output off
  print "Dissosociating from terminal and running as a daemon\n" if
$DEBUG;
  # virtualise / to be in a 'safe' location
  #chroot("/var") or die " Couldn't chroot to /var: $!";
  # fork a child and let the parent exit.
  $pid=fork;
  exit if $pid;
  die "Couldn't fork new process: $!" unless defined ($pid);
  # dissociate the process from the terminal and don't be part of
  # my old process 'group'
  POSIX::setsid() or die "Can't start a new session: $!";
}
sub signal_handler {
  die "syncfiles: dying on signal\n";
}
#---------DAEMON CODE END------------------------

#----------------MAIN LOOP BEGIN-----------------------
my $delay = $checkdelay;
while (1) {

  sleep $delay;

  foreach my $file (keys %files){

    #if ctime of file is > than ctime in $ctimes then
    #   do push.,
    #   update ctime into %files
    my $newctime;
    if (defined ( $newctime = (stat($file))[10] ) and $newctime >
$files{$file}) {
      my $retval = system ("$rsync -ae '$ssh -x' --rsync-path='$rsync'
$file root\@$client:$file");
      print "$rsync -ae '$ssh -x' --rsync-path='$rsync' $file
root\@$client:$file" if $DEBUG;
      if ($retval==0) {
        $files{$file} = $newctime; # if system call returned ok, define a
new 'last-updated' ctime.
        $delay = $checkdelay;
        print "-- done ok\n" if $DEBUG;
      } else {
        $delay = $retrydelay;  # if there was an error, then wait for a
longer period before trying again.
        print "-- error occured\n" if $DEBUG;
      }
    } elsif (!defined $newctime or $newctime<=1) {
      # file that should exist does not exist or other error
      die "error getting ctime of $file\n";
    } # else no update of this file needed.
  }
}

-------perl-code-cit-line-end------------------
David Bussenschutt          Email: D.Bussenschutt at mailbox.gu.edu.au
Senior Computing Support Officer & Systems Administrator/Programmer
Location: Griffith University. Information Technology Services
           Brisbane Qld. Aust.  (TEN bldg. rm 1.33) Ph: (07)38757079

Steven Timm <timm at fnal.gov>
10/05/01 11:28 PM