NIS?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Oct 5 09:51:53 PDT 2001

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 11:38:06AM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>
> > we still lack a lot of "standard" tools for
> > cluster management and this is one of them.
>
> Or we ignore tools like "cfengine", which comes out of a different
> community than ours. BTW, I think they do have a proper solution for
> this.

I've used cfengine as well; for a while we relied on it to manage a lot
of things in the physics department.  Its problem is that it is too
clunky and clumsy for midsized, reasonably homogeneous networks and is
(IMO) tremendous overkill for a simple cluster or small network.  It is
all things to all men, and handles administrivia like file/log rotation
as well as configuration synchronization.  There are things I really
like about cfe, but it isn't at all easy to learn or use and just
doesn't fit that smoothly into the Red Hat Way.  It also isn't really a
replacement for NIS...

As you already said, rsync is a lot easier to use and simple enough to
hack into a solution that IS easy to use and understand (as many of us
have already done -- I even have rsynclets built into makefiles:-).
It's just that hacked solutions aren't very portable...

   rgb