NIS?

Tim Carlson tim.carlson at pnl.gov
Thu Oct 4 15:07:37 PDT 2001

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> Don Becker gave some good reasons why NIS isn't used by most big
> clusters. The investment bank I used to work for (5 years ago) made
> every machine a slave in order to avoid NIS's braindamage.

Before bashing NIS completely, maybe a qualifier of "sucks on Linux"
would be appropriate? I ran NIS with one master and 50 slaves in a Solaris
environment (2.5 -> 2.8) for 5 years and can't think of one problem
(outside the time we tried to add a slave and did it incorrectly).

Ran NIS on a 32 node Linux cluster based on RedHat 6.2 for six
months and never had a problem with NIS.

Tim

Tim Carlson
Voice: (509) 376-0300
Email: Tim.Carlson at pnl.gov