NIS?

Gary Stiehr gary at umsl.edu
Tue Oct 2 11:52:01 PDT 2001

Hi,
    While I do not have any numbers to give you, I can offer you my
experience on our cluster.  We have used NIS on a 10-node/20-processor
cluster for a while and have always been able to obtain very good
performance on our programs.  That is, the overhead of using NIS seems
trivial on our cluster.  I think that the administrative overhead of
properly setting up an LDAP directory would be enough to avoid it
altogether and I can't imagine that the performance is good relative to
NIS or distributing the password file.  Well, I hope that these comments
help even though they are not quantitative.

--
Gary Stiehr
gary at umsl.edu