CCL:linux cluster vs intranet (fwd)

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Oct 2 09:47:16 PDT 2001

-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>
ICBMTO: N48 04'14.8'' E11 36'41.2'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 16:19:59 +0000
From: Felipe Pineda <pineda at imb-jena.de>
To: chemistry at ccl.net
Subject: CCL:linux cluster vs intranet

Dear CCLers!

I shall be very grateful if someone of you would share with me his/her
experiences in building a linux cluster based on 2 or more dual athlon 760MP
boxes. The main points of interest are networking devices (ethernet adapter/s
on each node, switch, etc.) requirements and the possibility of disk space
sharing in such a system (one or several "centralized" HDs on e.g. the frontend
node vs "distributed" on each node). Is the difference between running an
intranet consisting of such independent linux boxes and a true beowulf cluster
only a (clustering) software question, or are the hardware requirements
different?

Many thanks in advance for your attention and kind feedback.

Best regards

felipe

* Felipe Pineda,PhD                                                  *
* Institut fuer Molekulare Biotechnologie                            *
* AG Theoretische Biophysik                                          *
* Beutenbergstrasse 11, Jena                Vox: +49-3641-65-6491    *
* Postfach 100 813, D-07708 Jena, Germany   Fax:            -6495    *
*                  web:  www.imb-jena.de/~pineda                     *
* DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is *
* my personal opinion, not an official statement of my employer      *

-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
CHEMISTRY at ccl.net -- To Everybody  | CHEMISTRY-REQUEST at ccl.net -- To Admins
MAILSERV at ccl.net -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
CHEMISTRY-SEARCH at ccl.net -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: jkl at osc.edu