Parallel batch jobs on beowulf?

Gary Stiehr gary at umsl.edu
Mon Oct 1 15:34:02 PDT 2001

Hi,
   PBS is perfectly acceptable for this type of use.  Each job can
request all of the nodes or just a subset of them.  The job is queued
until the requested number of nodes is available.  You are still able to
run MPI/PVM programs on the nodes in an interactive way when using PBS
but this may be confusing/misleading to the users of the cluster.
    You can also set PBS to use your nodes in a "time-shared" manner.
This way, PBS can allocate more than one job to each node.  When you
need to have only one job per node, you can configure the nodes as
"exclusive" nodes.  I hope this helps.

--
Gary Stiehr
gary at umsl.edu