Swap over the network?

Cabaniols, Sebastien Sebastien.Cabaniols at compaq.com
Mon Oct 1 09:23:00 PDT 2001

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > > "Cabaniols, Sebastien" <Sebastien.Cabaniols at compaq.com>
> > > Do you know if it is currently possible to have diskless nodes
> > > having their swap over the network ?
> >
> > omitting swap is usually a bad idea, since various
> revisions of the VM
> > have been unstable in the absence of swap - they used swapcache
> > allocation as a book-keeping aid, and didn't necessarily generate
> > any swap *traffic*.
>
> I believe that you are referring to the 2.4 kernels with the reference
> to kernels that are unstable without swap.  The 2.2 kernels perform
> better with even a little bit of swap, but they don't require
> swap space.

Ok, but from what I understood on lkml, 2.4.10 changed this didn't it ?

What I would like to know is if I can use NBD for my swapping.... As
Mark said if you need memory to start using NBD and if you need NBD
when you run out of memory (when you want to swap) it looks like we
 won't make it :(

Thanks for your help, I think I will search in the lkml archive too :)