Fwd: Grid Engine: ongoing and future work

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Mon Oct 1 07:28:23 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 01:26:25PM +0200, hanzl at noel.feld.cvut.cz wrote:

> OK, OpenPBS too runs on linux but on Scyld it is not easy ('mom' on
> every node does not suit it well, running scripts on nodes is not easy
> - I think people work on it, but certainly it takes more than just
> minor modifications).

Actually, it would be interesting to have a discussion about how one
would port OpenPBS or SGE to Scyld.

I think it should look like the SGI O2k version, with 1 mom on the
master. This mom would query Scyld to find out the resources
available, and report that as its # of cpus. When a job starts, it's
mom who picks which cpus it uses, perhaps using the Scyld resource
allocation layer. And then that information needs to get communicated
to beompi.

greg