Strange hardware (was Re: custom hardware (was: Xbox clusters?))

Mark at MarkAndrewSmith.co.uk Mark at MarkAndrewSmith.co.uk
Thu Nov 29 05:50:58 PST 2001

Yep, seen this problem many times in our computer hire range of
Windows2000Pro machines.  The strange thing is that we only see this on Slot
1 Pentium II machines with various model motherboards.  All our Pentium III
range are socket 370 and no problems.  So we came to a feeling that the
problem was the way in which the Slot1 Pentium II sits on the motherboard.
After months of clients returning equipment to base under warranty, we
issued instruction on how to open the case and remove and re seat the
PentiumII Slot 1 processor package.  The machines then boot every time after
switch on.

How many of you having this problem have it with the slot 1 Pentium II and
slot 2 Pentium III processors in your clusters?  I bet none of you have it
with a socket 370 or other "flat" socket type of CPU package.  We're
fortunate that our development cluster is based on Pentium 233MHz MMX "old"
ex-hire equipment so we don't have this problem on the cluster.  Yet!

Regards,
     Mark.