Channel Bonding Question

Andrew Klaassen ak at dkp.com
Wed Nov 28 13:19:58 PST 2001

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 11:25:39AM -0500,
I wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 09:29:18AM -0600,
> Jared Hodge wrote:

> > I was wondering if it is possible to link two ethernet NICs
> > (channel bonding, sort of) on our server to work together
> > talking to a single switch.  I've lately come to realize that
> > most work with channel bonding requires two entirely separate
> > networks, but what I want to do is connect the two NICs two
> > the switch (Cisco Catalyst) and allow it to effectively
> > communicate with two of the nodes at full speed at the same
> > time.  I guess that this would be more along the lines of line
> > trunking or multi-link or some other networking scheme.  If
> > anyone knows of any links that describe how to do this, I
> > would appreciate it.  Thanks.

> No link, but here are the config files we need in order to make
> this work on a Redhat box...
<snip>

Ah - I had a chance to look through the Redhat startup scripts,
and it looks like all you need on the Linux box side of things
is ifenslave.  From the ifenslave manpage:

     # modprobe bonding
     # ifconfig bond0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.0.0
     # ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1

Hope that helps.

Andrew Klaassen