Fortran compilers for Linux/mpich

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Fri Nov 23 08:00:21 PST 2001

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 02:46:38PM +0100, Steven Berukoff wrote:

> Yes, you can use the Intel compilers to compile code for Athlons.  Since
> the AMD instruction set supports SSE, you can include Pentium 3
> optimizations that improve performance a bit.

Does anyone know how similar/different are the SSE instructions
are implemented Athlon vs. P3/P4 chips?  Are the operational counts
the same or is one slower than he other?

> What I'd really like to see, however, are gcc for athlon or, better, a
> compiler from AMD!

An AMD compiler would be nice but it is not going to happen (opinion not
fact).  However an easy way for them to achieve this is to offer $$$$
to any compiler vendor to implement the 3Dnow instructions natively.

Craig

Craig Tierney (ctierney at hpti.com)