ExtremeNetworks Summit and channel bonding with Scyld

Chris Black cblack at eragen.com
Wed Nov 7 08:17:29 PST 2001

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 04:11:31PM +0100, Javier Iglesias wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are about to build a 19 bi-athlon/Tyan Tiger/Scyld cluster
> for academic research in the field of genetic programming, and
> large neural networks.
>
> We'd like to use an Extreme Networks Summit 48 ethernet switch
> -> http://www.extremenetworks.com/products/datasheets/summit24.asp
> connecting (highly recommended here recently :) Netgear FA310TX NICs
> -> http://www.netgear.com/product_view.asp?xrp=1&yrp=1&zrp=4
>
> Here come the questions :
> * has anyone experienced channel bonding on that switch ?
> * any Gigabit NIC recommandation for the master node ?
> * is it possible/necessary to channel bond Gigabit interfaces ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help !!

I have no experience with that switch, but have a few comments...
For gigabit NICs for linux, we have had good experience with the
NetGear GA620 cards (not the GA622s which are a different chipset).
They are well supported by the acenic driver and function well for us.

As for channel bonding, I really don't think you'll need it for
genetic programming and neural networks as those aren't traditionally
very-high-bandwidth applications if I am thinking about them correctly.
(That is if by genetic programming you mean genetic algorithms and not
bioinformatics).
Not to mention the added complexity and time needed to implemenet channel
bonding, I just don't think it would be worth it in this case.
It seems to me that many cluster workloads work fine with just fast
ethernet to the nodes.

Chris