Tyan Tiger MP (was Re: [ot] Re: AMD testing)

Velocet math at velocet.ca
Sat Nov 3 18:14:39 PST 2001

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 05:11:52PM -0800, Trent Piepho's all...
> On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Hereward Cooper wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Has any user of the Tiger MP S2460 had experience of what happens if you DON'T
> > use registered memory? Will it blow up :-) ??
>
> There was a review of this board when it came out at tom's hardware or
> anadtech, I'm not sure which.  They tested registered vs non-registered
> memory.  If you use more than two DIMM slots, you need registered.  Three

I had one DIMM in, 256Mb, running freebsd.

> non-registered DIMMs won't work, and two non-registered plus one registered
> won't work either.  It doesn't explode or catch fire (only if the heatsink
> falls off..), but won't pass POST.  Registered ECC is only a couple dollars
> more than non-registered ECC, so there really is no reason not to get it.

It passed POST no problem, got through all the rc files, but then started
dying as soon as I logged in.

Your mileage may vary.

BTW do NOT use 300W power supplies. I blew 2 trying. You need 30A on
the +5V line. The 350W PSs I got do 32A on +5 and work great (and
seem to be of higher quality altogether too).

Watch out with the heatsinks you use on the Tyan Tiger, golden orbs
do NOT FIT with all the caps surrounding the CPUs. Use square or
WIDE (rectangular) heatsinks. A long one or circular one just wont fit.

BTW - anyone have experience running non-MP athlons on these boards? I
booted it with a couple and ran various jobs (dnetc, gromacs, g98,
bunch of compile jobs of said programs as well as a FreeBSD and linux
kernel among other things) and I've had no problems yet.

/kc

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA