MPI or PVM enabled jre?

Tom Wainwright thomas.wainwright at noaa.gov
Mon May 21 14:26:11 PDT 2001

It's obvious from this thread that there is little overlap between the Beowulf
and Java numerics communities.  There is much going on on numerical work in
Java.

For an introduction, see the Java Numerics page:
	http://math.nist.gov/javanumerics/
which has some tantalizing benchmarks suggesting the best Java jre's have ca.
90% the speed of optimized C for some numerical problems.  Also, IBM is working
on improving java efficiency:  see their Ninja project:
	http://www.research.ibm.com/ninja/

Also, a simple web search on "Java MPI" or "Java PVM" will bring up several
implementations of each.

Personally, I am working on a Java/Beowulf ecosystem modeling project, but am
too early in the development to say anything regarding performance, etc.  (I
don't even have the machines plugged in yet.)  If anyone gets to testing the
Java MPI/PVM implementations before me, I'd love to hear your reviews.

--
Tom Wainwright
NOAA/NMFS/NWFSC
thomas.wainwright at noaa.gov