Question: Task Farm and Private Networks.

Hoeffel, Thomas Thomas_Hoeffel at chiron.com
Wed May 30 16:39:13 PDT 2001

Hi,

I currently have a small cluster in which the slave nodes are on a private
network. It is used primarily as a task farm and not as a true parallel
machine. Only the master node sees our other systems  (which are on their
own switch). This casues problems with certain remote job submissions via
some commercial packages since they write both local temp files and scratch
temp files.

Question: What is the drawback to giving each slave it's own true IP address
and allowing them to NFS mount the same file systems as the master node?

Thanks

Thomas J. Hoeffel
Computational Chemistry
Chiron Corporation