make and cluster software

Chris Black cblack at eragen.com
Wed May 30 11:41:07 PDT 2001

We are trying to move our large sets of batch jobs (several thousand)
into a make type environment. We already have a cluster running
OpenPBS, but are looking at alternatives to PBS since we have been
having problems with hangs and such. I am interested in MOSIX since
it seems like it would integrate well with our multiple independant
processes model and with make. But I also read in the MOSIX FAQ that
java processes don't get migrated. Most of our programs are java
code that links in fast native code for algorithms. I am not that
familiar with MOSIX and I don't know if migrating processes would
even be necessary for us. Ideally I would like to be able to do a:
make -j50

and run 50 processes at a time. Right now we just have make execute
a bunch of qsubs to queue jobs into PBS.
We are also looking at Codine/GRD engine.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Any experience with MOSIX and
make? Would this need the ability to migrate processes? Is MOSIX not
a good solution for this type of application? Anyone else setting up
make to use a cluster semi-transparently?

Thanks,
Chris