custom cluster cabinets (was Re: 1U P4 Systems)

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Tue May 29 10:02:06 PDT 2001

Douglas Eadline wrote:

>> The turn-key clusters of 16 nodes and greater targeted at high speed
>> with high bandwith/low latency interconnects seems to be where things
>> can be  improved significantly. Maybe some new "legos" are needed.
>

> The new "legos" we get are usually out of our control and
> created through market forces much larger then Beowulf clusters.
> We are to some degree parasites. Indeed, there are many among us
> that have been burned on "proprietary legos" (legos that
> do work the other kids toys) and now will only use those legos
> we can get from the bigger markets because we know that they
> will be low cost and have an upgrade path and play well with others.
>

> And in some cases many slower less expensive CPUs may be better than
> expensive faster ones. With clusters, focusing on one part of the system
> (usually the cpu) can be a dangerous. Other aspects of the
> system from software to hardware need to be considered.

Low cost "legos" with control in the hands of the fringe cluster
integrators is a challenge most vendors with market forces much larger
than BeoClusters won't or can't offer. An elegant dual P4 or quad K7 ATX
mainboard that operates in a 1U enclosure is what you'll probably not
find anywhere on Pricewatch but will be available from other sources
that will not violate any of the Beowulf pledge to affordability,
upgradeability, reusability and flexibility.

Very low cost nodes can also be built using OTS system-on-chip
components not much larger than a deck of cards, simliar to what's
becoming the mainstream in the bowels of PDA, IA and handheld computers.

Bari