custom cluster cabinets (was Re: 1U P4 Systems)

alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com
Tue May 22 23:31:08 PDT 2001

hi ya

you can get "used" cabinets for $500... range...

be sure the holes are pre-drilled vs needing the
clips to mount your 1U into the cabinet

be sure you have cooling fans for air circulation...
either do cooling from side to side
or down blowing up ... ( have good/clean bottom-side filters

dont forget to add shiping/delivery charges tooo
as these puppies weighs a ton...

we see no reason why clusters cannot be in 1U chassis...
instead of bulky mid-tower PCs... unless you need amd cpus
than you might be in trouble with air flow in 1Us...
	1U P3-800 is around $800-$900 in parts...

	typically 40 or 80 per cabinet...
	120 1Us in cabinet ...is easily possible...
	160 1Us is lots harder to do...

	Transmeta Crusoe servers is 24 servers in 3U ...
	( if compute speed is not critical and
	( that power or number of server is important )

have fun
alvin
http://www.Linux-1U.net/Racks  -- see the cabinet section