1U P4 Systems

alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com
Tue May 22 16:56:51 PDT 2001

hi Bari/Jim

i know that this is a beowulf mailing list...but ...

and yes... i'd be curious to see how many clusters are
using 1U vs 2u vs 4U...etc..etc..

For Making ones own chassis... it is NOT that straight forward...
there are always costs and *oops* that add up... that sometimes
its cheaper to buy someone elses stuff even if its not quite
exactly what is needed...
	- we tend to build customized 1U chassis per vendor
	specs...

not many people can cut and drill the holes as needed...

the $50 1U chassis are flimsy paper .... not worthy of being
called a 1u chassis...

the typical $250 1U chassis are okay...but those still twist
so if its in a tack and hold held by the front mounting ears...
those motherboards will twist...

our 1U chassis is 48 gauge steel.. it wont bend like theirs does..
and there you cannot drill it either.... its extremely difficult
for the ordinary hobbyist

and yes...one-z-two-z is fine... but thats a hobby as opposed to
building a 1U beowulf clusters ??

> >> You can have sheet metal 1U enclosures with CNC mounting holes made to
> >> order with aluminum front panels for under $100 US in low volume(100
> >> pcs.). If you are willing to drill your own mounting holes you can get
> >> off the shelf 1U enclosures for around $50 quan. 1.
> >
> >Having things made is painful, but I've got a drill.  Several drills,
> >actually.  Besides, I could buy a heavy-duty drill press for what I'd
> >save on any significant number of nodes.

make that extreme pain...

> >So, how do I go about making a 1U enclosure out of a OTS case?  Do you
> >have any specific cases that you care to recommend that fit (even
> >approximately) the size spec?  Did you do this yourself?  Do you have
> >some (or can you prepare some) GIFs or JPEGs of the process or finished
> >product?
> >
> >Seriously, this would make a great chapter for the online beowulf
> >engineering book I'm working on.  Send me the stuff, I'll organize it
> >and put it in a chapter...

if you would like an evaluation 1U chassis...

please let me know
have fun
al;vin