1U P4 Systems

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue May 22 14:52:36 PDT 2001

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Bari Ari wrote:

> You can have sheet metal 1U enclosures with CNC mounting holes made to
> order with aluminum front panels for under $100 US in low volume(100
> pcs.). If you are willing to drill your own mounting holes you can get
> off the shelf 1U enclosures for around $50 quan. 1.

Having things made is painful, but I've got a drill.  Several drills,
actually.  Besides, I could buy a heavy-duty drill press for what I'd
save on any significant number of nodes.

So, how do I go about making a 1U enclosure out of a OTS case?  Do you
have any specific cases that you care to recommend that fit (even
approximately) the size spec?  Did you do this yourself?  Do you have
some (or can you prepare some) GIFs or JPEGs of the process or finished
product?

Seriously, this would make a great chapter for the online beowulf
engineering book I'm working on.  Send me the stuff, I'll organize it
and put it in a chapter...

   rgb