1U P4 Systems

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Mon May 21 11:06:05 PDT 2001

Michael T. Prinkey wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have seen a few clusters assembled with 1U AMD Athlon systems.  Has
> anyone seen/built/melted down a 1U P4 system?  Cooling is of course an
> issue, as it is with the AMDs.  Another is the availability of low
> profile power supplies with the extra P4 power connector and sufficient
> wattage rating.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike Prinkey
> Aeolus Research, Inc.

How many would you need? We've looked at making multi P4/ 1U mainboards
(4-8 CPUs per 1U) but we have seen very little interest in it as
compared to IA-64, Athlon-4, ULV-PIII and Mips designs. 1 P4 per 1U
would be simple to make. 8 - 16 ULV P-III or Athlon 4 with DDR per 1U
look more attractive. Rambus is another unwelcome component of a current
P4 design until the DDR chipsets are ready.

Bari Ari                         email: bari at onelabs.com
<mailto:bari at onelabs.com>
O.N.E. Technologies
1505 Old Deerfield Road        tel: 773-252-9607
Highland Park, IL 60035        fax: 773-252-9604
http://www.onelabs.com