interesting Athlon/P4 discussion from FreeBSD-Q-l

Michael T. Prinkey mprinkey at aeolusresearch.com
Fri May 11 10:48:14 PDT 2001

I have been watching the Athlon/P4 issue from a safe distance for the
past few months, but at the request of a client, I finally bought Athlon
and P4 test systems.  The target application is a commercial CFD code.
When I did the benchmarking, I was astonished.  The 1.5-GHz P4/RDRAM
system simply ran rings around everything else, including a fairly new
Compaq ES40.  Numbers look something like this:

ES40, 500 MHz           1.70 iterations per minute
Athlon, 1.33 GHz/DDR    1.85
P3 933 MHz/Serverworks  1.10
P4 1.5 GHz/i850/RDRAM   3.00

This was genuinely unexpected.  Needless to say, I have a new found
respect for the P4 and RDRAM, at least for this application.  And as has
been pointed out, we are now under $2000 for a rackmount 1.7-GHz P4 node
with 1 GB RDRAM.

Mike Prinkey
Aeolus Research, Inc.