Scyld and root directory

Jag agrajag at linuxpower.org
Mon May 14 15:36:15 PDT 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Art Edwards wrote:

> Jag:
>
> Thanks for the message. I have tried your suggestion but the append line seems
> to give the kernel problems I get a kernel panic about not being able to
> open an initial console. It doen't seem to matter where I put the append
> command. I have been successful putting the default boot image on to a node and
> rebooting. Only when the append line is included does the kernal puke.

Hrm.. I was wrong with what I said before (that's what I get for trying
to respond from my parents' house).   Check out the file
/etc/beowulf/config   There is a line that starts with
'kernelcommandline'  After that is the options that are passed to the
kernel.  Try adding the mem= to the end of that line.

> I have another general question. I have altered the standard partition
> table to have a large swap file local on the slave node. Also, I have a large
> disk area that has no label. Hwoever, when I issue a remote df -k I only
> see the nfs-mounted file system from the mater node and a ramdisk. Is this
> normal?  Where are the other partitions? If I use bpsh 0 fdisk, I can read
> the partition table well enough.

swap partitions never show up with 'df'.  Use a command such as 'free'
to see see how much swap space the node has.  You should be able to use
that number to see if your swap partition is being recognized.

Also, make sure you edit /etc/beowulf/fstab to indicate where your swap
partition is as well as what your other partition is and where you want
it mounted.

Jag