FYI: Current SPECfp landscape...

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Fri May 11 10:45:13 PDT 2001

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 05:41:30PM -0400, Josip Loncaric wrote:

> Sure.  But clearly we are talking about the *current* generation of high
> performance memory systems.  There was no implication that this could be
> extended to future technologies.  You are reading way more into this
> than was actually said or implied.

Ah. Well, I did read that you compared the performance/Ghz of AMD to
Intel, and that is clearly a bad idea.

> Your point about ignoring memory bandwidth is puzzling.  Memory
> bandwidth is very important to us, I am absolutely not ignoring it,

When you were looking for the 4:3 ratio of FPU performance, you
neglected the memory bandwidth. Since the memory bandwidth of the
things you were comparing were vastly different (3:1), and you know
that SPEC2000fp has an important memory bandwidth component, you
wouldn't expect the 4:3 ratio of FPU speeds to be present as exactly
4:3. Or anything close to 4:3. So, again, the minute you crossed the
line of comparing within a single chip line to comparing two different
chip lines, you methodology became bad.

That's my objection.

-- greg