Intel Fortran compiler

Gerben Roest g.roest at linvision.com
Thu May 3 02:45:55 PDT 2001

Hi all,

I recently tested the new Intel Fortran compiler 5.01 for Linux (free beta
until sept 1). The results compared to the GNU g77 are quite impressive. I
did a test job of a client of ours, which is some CFD code. It ran for
about 2 minutes and used around 100 MB of memory. I did the test on a
Celeron 466, with RH 7.1, kernel 2.4.3.

g77 (gnu compiler) time:  2:45 minutes
ifc (intel compiler) time:     1:37 minutes

g77 options: -O2 -mpentiumpro -funroll-all-loops
ifc options: -w90 -w95 (to suppress messages about use of non-standard
Fortran). It default optimises, I tested some extra options for MMX or PII,
but that did not result in faster code, as far as I could tell.

Greetings,

Gerben Roest.

---
Linvision BV               tel: 015-7502310
Elektronicaweg 16 d          fax: 015-7502319
2628 XG Delft             g.roest at linvision.com
The Netherlands         www.linvision.com