Huinalu Linux SuperCluster

Ron Brightwell rbbrigh at valeria.mp.sandia.gov
Sat Mar 24 18:47:53 PST 2001

> > Keep in mind that peak theoretical performance accurately measures your ability
> > to spend money, while MPLinpack performance accurately measures your ability
> > to seek pr -- I mean it measures the upper bound on compute performance from
> > a parallel app.
>
> A particular parallel app, not any arbitrary parallel app; if your
> parallel app is SETI at Home, I'd expect to see numbers closer to peak
> theoretical performance than to MPLinpack.

If your parallel app is SETI at Home, you don't have a parallel app.

As I said before, I wasn't trying to be exact with my description of MPLinpack
-- I was trying to be humorous.  One of the reasons that I didn't try for
exactness is because I'm very familiar with the tendancy of a few people on
this list to try to "correct" others down to the point of arguing semantic
details that don't add any value to the discussion.

If you want to start a thread about your lax definition of a parallel app,
then that's ok, but it's unlikely to be of any value to most people on the
list.

-Ron