Memory Issues: /proc/kcore vs. free

Felix Rauch rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 22 08:12:29 PST 2001

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Gary Stiehr wrote:
[...]
> Supposedly the bios on these boards did not properly pass some
> information to the linux kernel about the amount of memory.  It was
> suggested that we boot with
>
> 	linux mem=128MB
>
> at the lilo prompt or add
>
> 	append="mem=128M"
>
> to /etc/lilo.conf in the "image" sections.
>
> Unfortunately, this did not work for us but we feel that there may have
> been other complications keeping this suggestion from working for us.

There were times when it was suggested to put a little less memory in
the "mem=..." option than what the machines actually had. In this
example, it might help to use

   append="mem=127M"

but I don't know if this is still true with recent kernels.

- Felix
Felix Rauch                      | Email: rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Institute for Computer Systems   | Homepage: http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/~rauch/
ETH Zentrum / RZ H18             | Phone: ++41 1 632 7489
CH - 8092 Zuerich / Switzerland  | Fax:   ++41 1 632 1307