Memory Issues: /proc/kcore vs. free

Gary Stiehr gary at umsl.edu
Thu Mar 22 07:39:54 PST 2001

Hi,
	We used to have some nodes that had SuperMicro boards and others that
had a different brand motherboard.  Each node had 128MB of RAM.  The
SuperMicro-based nodes, however, only showed 64MB of RAM when running
free (even though the bios recognized all 128 MB).  Supposedly the bios
on these boards did not properly pass some information to the linux
kernel about the amount of memory.  It was suggested that we boot with

	linux mem=128MB

at the lilo prompt or add

	append="mem=128M"

to /etc/lilo.conf in the "image" sections.

Unfortunately, this did not work for us but we feel that there may have
been other complications keeping this suggestion from working for us.
We did not have those nodes for much longer and our jobs were not very
memory intensive so we did not investigate it much further.  But I think
that the suggestion above was a good starting point and hopefully it
WILL help you.

--
Gary Stiehr
Information Technology Services