Trying to install scyld on an alpha cluster.

Daniel Ridge newt at scyld.com
Mon Mar 19 20:15:14 PST 2001

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Carlos Lopez wrote:

> Hi evrybody, I finally decided to install scyld on the alpha's cluster,
> I downloaded the src.rpm's at www.scyld.com and tried to recompile them,
> I failed miserably, I get to compile te kernel, and some other tools,
> but the most important package seems to be the bproc package (in fact it
> is what makes a beowulf an scyld beowulf) but I can't compile it, it
> says something about the kernel headers, and I did install the
> kernel-headers
> package, I have no idea what to do now, and the cluster is not working
> by now... any help will be greatly appreciated.

We know for certian that BProc builds just fine on the Alpha -- that's how
we build it for our customers.

My guess is that the 'kernel headers' RPM you installed is not from a
kernel RPM that includes the BProc patch. No problem -- just apply the
BProc patch from the SRC rpm to the kernel you've installed.

This should allow you to compile and build BProc for Alpha. You'll need to
also rebuild your kernel with BProc turned on in order to use this
feature.

This is one reason that people often prefer to get a distribution from
us. See the Scyld Partners page at:

	http://www.scyld.com/page/vendors

for a list of vendors that provide Scyld preinstalled on systems.

Regards (and good luck),
	Dan Ridge
	Scyld Computing Corporation