AMD annoyed...

Schilling, Richard RSchilling at affiliatedhealth.org
Mon Mar 19 09:34:15 PST 2001

Robert,

It's up to you, but I think the key is that you mention you have no existing
agreement with AMD.  Without a non-disclosure on your work, then AMD has
effectively given you permission to publish whatever you want.  You have to
believe that they are aware of the implications of non-disclosure - they do
this all the time with companies.  If you're concerned, call them to verify
how they feel about it - they should be very open with you.  But, don't make
a decision based on speculation (get an official ruling from the company).

You also have to realize that as a Beowulf pioneer, your work speaks as loud
as AMD's on the subject matter.  Many people might not believe the AMD
marketing machine, but Mr. Brown working in the trenches is believable.

So I don't think your profile will do any harm, IMHO.  If AMD processors are
weak in some areas, but strong in others . . . so be it.  You're work is
vitally important for just that reason - to verify the limits of a given
technology.

Richard Schilling
Web Integration Programmer/Webmaster
phone: 360.856.7129
fax: 360.856.7166

http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu