annoyed (was: AMD annoyed...)

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Fri Mar 16 16:38:07 PST 2001

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 06:19:01PM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> Well, it turns out AMD is annoyed by my "publishing" pre-release
> benchmarks of the dual Athlon, in spite of all the caveats and warnings
> that I was testing a pre-release stepping of the chipset.  At a guess,
> the folks in marketing there don't think that technical folks know the
> difference between pre-release numbers and final numbers (and perhaps
> don't understand just how enthusiastic this site was making folks about
> the dual athlon even in the brief time it was up).  Who knows, they
> could be right.

Now I am annoyed.
I few weeks ago I basically had decided to build a 96 node beowulf out
of dual Athlons.
Then AMD pushed back the release of the duals to the second quarter of
2001. Very bad if your grant money arrives in a few weeks and your
fellow researchers want to use the new cluster right away.
And I still have to test the thing (stability, setup, etc.) ...

Now, Robert did part of my job by benchmarking the dual Athlon (thanks Robert!)
and they "encourage" him to take his site down ...

Does AMD wants to force me to buy Intels? Sigh.

Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6