AMD annoyed...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Mar 16 15:19:01 PST 2001

Dear List Persons,

Well, it turns out AMD is annoyed by my "publishing" pre-release
benchmarks of the dual Athlon, in spite of all the caveats and warnings
that I was testing a pre-release stepping of the chipset.  At a guess,
the folks in marketing there don't think that technical folks know the
difference between pre-release numbers and final numbers (and perhaps
don't understand just how enthusiastic this site was making folks about
the dual athlon even in the brief time it was up).  Who knows, they
could be right.

Although I doubt that there is anything they could do to force me, as a
matter of courtesy to them and to my hosts at ASL I'm taking the site
down "for a few weeks" until AMD gives the go-ahead.  I imagine that
they'll want me to redo the numbers if and when they get around to
releasing the system.  Sigh.  Hopefully I'll have time -- this week was
spring break (and I spent about three days messing with this that I'm
less likely to have in April).

Hopefully, anybody who really needed the preliminary numbers to help
make critical purchase decisions has looked already.  I do intend to put
the numbers back up (and complete the two or three benchmarks that
weren't quite finished) when permitted to do so.

Bemusedly yours,

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu