job migration

Daniel Ridge newt at scyld.com
Thu Mar 8 15:13:21 PST 2001

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Jag wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Mar 2001, Christoph Wasshuber wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to do a crude job migration with some
> > simple scripts? Or do I need to get one of
> > the job migration packages like MOSIX, Scyld, ...
>
> Actually, I've written a script in Python that does just that for a
> Scyld system, crude job migration.  It just rforks() to the remote node
> then does an exec() of the binary on that node (after twiddling with
> stdin/stdout some).  This assumes that the program you want to run is on
> the remote node as well as any libraries it needs (I assumed the binary
> was on an nfs share, and that the libraries were already cached on the
> remote node).

Why not just use fork()/bproc_execmove() ? You don't need then to have any
of the binaries installed remotely. You can (if you're clever) even
manage to get the dynamic link step to happen on the frontend.

>  Of course to do this, you need BProc bindings for
> whatever scripting language you're using.  So far I've seen bindings for
> Perl and Python released.

I'm actually looking for a responsible maintainer for the Perl bindings. I
want basically nothing to do with Perl. :)

Regards,
	Dan Ridge
	Scyld Computing